Friday, December 26, 2008

Family Christmas

Sometime during my childhood, I had a dentist appointment on December 23. The friendly receptionist, thinking of Christmas excitement, asked me, "So, is anyone special coming to your house tomorrow night?"

"Yes!" I replied. "Mamaw and Papaw and Uncle Joe, and..."

She, of course, meant Santa. But I was thinking of my family's Christmas eve tradition. Though I lived nearer to my mother's side of the family, when I think of Christmas, I always think of the Byerleys' annual gathering.

I won't tell you just how many of those I've attended, but I can tell you that they still feel special. Last night, the Byerleys gathered at my house. There are 16 of us now -- we're a fairly small clan -- and 15 of us made it to dinner. The locale has shifted over the years, but the routine never does.

Everyone arrives bearing presents and covered dishes. Each cook brings his or her specialty and, beginning with my dad's generation, that includes the men.

Though he isn't quite up to it now, traditionally my dad brought barbecued beef and cherry cream cheese cake. My uncle bakes a ham and brings slaw or a dessert. One sister brings deviled eggs on any of her collection of deviled egg plates. Another sister brings her sweet potato casserole. My great-aunt brings her home-preserved green beans or creamed corn -- so good because they've been picked ripe, and fresh preserved. My mom was known for her special iced tea, my grandmother for her boiled custard. And as other family members grow up or "marry in," they become known for a special dish, too.

The kitchen bustles with activity until we all stop to ask the blessing. Then we eat. Any children struggle to wait patiently through that long and happy meal to the big event -- present time. When the adults can be dragged or cajoled into the living room, the children distribute the gifts. Camera flashes punctuate the stories, exclamations and laughter.

All too soon, it's over. Everyone takes home samples of favorite dishes for the next day. And we hope to be together again -- all of us -- the next year.
It isn't the tradition that's so special, I guess, but the people. And it's always my favorite family night of the year.


1 comment:

AllyDeVito said...

Wow, what a great evening your family has each Christmas. So many memories! We like staying in Knoxville for the holidays, but we also miss our families' traditions. Happy New Year!